You have to have Springerli molds to make these cookies correctly.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
- 4 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 4 drops of anise oil
1. Beat whole eggs till thick. Add sugar gradually beating well between each addition until all is combined and then beat well for 15 minutes. This makes the finished cookie fine grained and light.
2. Add anise oil and blend.
3. Fold in flour lightly.
4. Roll out the dough about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Flour mold an dcarefully press firmly into dough.
6. Remove mold and cut the cookies along the line of print.
7. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
8. Flour mold each time it is used.
9. Let cookies stand overnight in a cool place to dry.
10. In the morning, place in a moderate oven (375 degrees). In 15 minutes the cookie should be light in color with appearances of having been iced.
Keep cookies in a tight can for 2 to 3 weeks before using to have best flavor. To soften them, put a cut apple in the can a day or two before using. Apple also adds a delightful aroma to the cookies.
Makes about 72 cookies